The Jolly Green Giant is a classic mascot for Green Giant vegetables, however the initial introduction of the large green icon was a failure.
This question has two parts... Good Luck!
- Why did it fail?
- What will you never see the Jolly Green Giant do?

I think he failed because he looked like a monster!
ReplyDeleteThe original Green Giant was srcuffy bearskin and looked more like the Hulk! I am not really sure about the secound part but I would say RUN maybe!
ReplyDeleteCorrect! The original Green Giant was a flop because children were terrified of him and the reaction of the public was not positive. As for the second part, you are absolutely right... You will never see him walk or run. The marketing staff decided it would be terrifying and look more like he was stepping on the vegetables and destroying the fields. Great job! What are both of your user names?
ReplyDeletegalpalval
Deletewtg winners
ReplyDeleteThe Giant's early TV appearances, in 1958, however, were not as stellar. Bob Noel, a writer at Burnett, once made these comments about the Giant's early TV appearances: "They tried men painted green," a puppet figure and animation. The problem is "when you try to move the Giant around and really show what he looks like, he comes off a monster. The baby cries and the dog goes under the bed."
ReplyDeleteMr. Noel devised an ingenious solution: ads that showed just enough of the Giant to establish his presence but not too much to send customers running for cover. The problems that arose ultimately brought the creative staff to a new understanding about the big guy. The Giant was most effective either in silhouette or partial view. To lighten up the Giant's image, Mr. Noel dreamed up his signature "Ho, ho, ho" and lilting "Good things from the garden" song.
I think he didnt like walk or run.
My user name is dorunrun, thanks
Nicely said! I find it interesting to see how brand mascots and their advertising in general has changed over the years. I never even thought about people being terrified of the Green Giant until I read up on it. Just another interesting fact from history. Thanks for the input! :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete